Friday 19 August 2011

Shabby

I love shabby things.  I think scratches, dents, tears, rust and holes can add to an item, rather than detract from it.  Whether it is lovely painted shabby chic:


Magazine rack


Spice shelf


Display shelf for miniture treasures


Jewellery box
(All courtesy of my clever sister-in-law again, thank you!)


Or, tatty, shabby,printed things:




These are various bits of sewing ephemera.  I particularly like the Wool and Nylon mending thread in Clerical grey!  I have visions of an aged priest darning his socks.  (Wasn't that Father Mackenzie in "Eleanor Rigby"; maybe clerical grey thread was Lennon and McCartney's inspiration!)


Some of the printing would not have even been seen until most of the product had been used; like this symbol for Northern Ireland where this carpet thread was made.



As for old adverts; well they are a whole lot better than today's offerings I think.

Anyway, off now to carry on sorting out my stock for the Cotswolds Vintage Fair on 27th.  Can't wait!




2 comments:

  1. Hi, it was good to see you yesterday, sorry didn't get to chat, I suppose we have to work sometimes! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, it was lovely to see you too. We'll have to catch up next time; but it was good to be so busy. I have never seen such a busy fair!

    ReplyDelete